Pen Names!
So hundreds of fresh writers out there want to know about pen names.

I was once that person, and I think every writer should really consider this.

The reason I decided I wanted a pen name is because my name is oh-so-common. Alicia Williams. There's nothing sparky about the name. There's nothing unique about it, and there is actually a not-so-famous writer that is also named Alicia Williams.

I don't want to be confused with anything.

The first name I thought of was Marley Austin. I was talking with one of my best friends about it one day and we combined my middle name, Marlene, and her middle name, Austin.

Later on, I decided I wanted the book cover to have a male's name. I took my last name and cut the 's' off in order to make it William. Then I was going through names on a random name generator (how retarded is that?) I came across Abell off of it, and I have to say, William Abell. I didn't have a flashy ring to it, but it made me think of willing and able.

I was willing to do everything I could to reach my goal of being a published writer. I had a long way to go. I still have a damn long way to go. I'm willing to do everything I can to become better, though. I'm constantly learning, and once I grow thicker skin, I can put my work out there to get individual crits to continue my learning process. I'm willing. And I'm going to be able to do it.

So, there's my story of how I came across the perfect pen name. I've known another writer that chose Olivia Ink. I live in ink. Some names don't have to be clever though, they just have to be right for you.

It took two years to find exactly what name I wanted to go by. So don't stress it. It'll come to you, just be willing to let it. Hope this helped.
0 Responses
  • Followers