People come to life in your book
Let's face it.

We've all got that one character (or two... or three) who have somehow found a way into our story!

People think it's wrong. Or we're not imaginative enough. Well, here's something for those people: you're wrong.

I always tried to avoid having a character represent somebody because, well, everyone told me you just don't do it. I'm a glutton for following terrible advice.

I saw this little bit of advice given to someone today, and it bothered me. First off, there's no wrong or right way to write a novel. It either works or it doesn't. And if it doesn't, there's bound to be more than one fuck up in it.

So, back to the topic.

As a human being, you're naturally attached to people or things. There are moments and qualities that are irreplaceable in your heart, and that passion comes out in your work. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

One of my favorite characters, Tony Martini, started off exactly how I planned, but as time went on and situations not in the outline occurred, I found out that Tony Martini is a shiny replica of my daddy.

Not everything about him is the same, but the way he cares for people. The way he gives advice. The way he never gives up. The way places all the stress he can on his shoulders so others don't have to worry. He's my father, and I didn't plan it that way!

If you've come across something similar to mine, you'll realize you can't change it. You'll try, but it'll feel like a void. Something will forever be missing with that character.

Now, after having a character evolve into someone I know, if someone asked me if I'd write a character based on someone/something I knew, heck yes I would. And I have!

The dragon in my story has changed dramatically. Let's face it. I love my dragon, and he's not going anywhere. BUT he has to grow with the story, and the way he was, cannot be the way he has to be.

When I first started (his name was Twilly, short for Twilight... but after the book Twilight, I decided I'd have to rename him), Twilly was more of a mentor. Bryce was a young, scared kid at the time, and he needed someone who was confident. Someone to guide him. Twilly was that person.

When I decided to change who Bryce was from top to bottom, well, that meant I had to change Twilly. Twilly could no longer be what I had originally intended him to be.

It was heartbreaking. Really. I sat around for hours thinking of how I was going to make this work. I wasn't getting rid of my dragon dammit!

Then, he came in. The he that I would base my dragon around. Tall, dark, handsome.... what the hell am I saying. He wasn't any of those.

Standing a whole 12 inches tall with nothing but black fluff -- a tail wagging, mouth breather intruded my story.

Pookie.

For those of you who do not know, Pookie is my baby. My little pomeranian.

The only dog in the world I loveeee to hate. He pisses on everything. Bites too much. Wakes me up at 2 am wanting to play. 3 am wanting to play. 4 am wanting to play. 5 am wanting to go outside... to play. He drools. His bark is like a girlish squeal.

HE HAS NO CLUE HOW TO CALM DOWN. IF HE WAS WRITING, IT WOULD ALWAYS BE IN CAPS!!!!!!!!!! WITH LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND A RANDOM "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's Pookie. The only bad dog I've ever owned. And the only dog I've ever considered my precious wittle baby.

So, my mentoring, wise dragon suddenly became a fourteen foot Pookie.

I have never, ever had so much fun in my life. So, to answer your question: is it okay to write create a character based around a person?Yes, and you'll be surprised how much fun you'll have with it!
Yes, that's my Pookie-nator. He could only stay still for one photo -.-
2 Responses
  1. Fiona Says:

    I think a lot of people get caught up in the 'you must not write copies of people into your books' and forget that other people are our best source of inspiration.


  2. You're absolutely right. I'm so tired of seeing great writers get caught up in such silly non-sense. When all in all, it's inspiration!


  • Followers