What made me decide to write the genre I do?
I am a YA Urban Fantasy writer. That's a big title.

Why YA?
Hi, my name is Alli. I'm apart of the Harry Potter generation. When I first started writing, I wanted to do what KA Applegate and JK Rowling did for me: give me the love to read. I think between video games and TV, we need to give the younger generations a reason to love reading.

Do you realize the generations under me will never, ever twirl their finger in the telephone cord? They've never had a corded phone! They won't use VCRs. They'll laugh when they see superman dressing in a phone booth (Oh mi gawd, what is that?!) They won't remember the AOL sign on sound. Heck, even the "you've got mail" sound.

Anyway, back to the topic. My story evolved from my original intent. But, I've still got a reason to write for the YA crowd. I love quick paced books. I'm not saying I'm a sucker for a 1,000 page novel, but YA books tend to have excitement on every single page. I love feeling like a pinball in a pinball machine.

The endings in YA seem a bit more fairy-taleish. Out of the last fourteen adult novels I've read, none of the endings were satisfying. I'm not sure what it is anymore, but it's like so many writers try and add a shock value at the very end. MC just died. The world exploded. The lovers separated and saw each other walking down the side walk, the end. I really don't get it. You write this entire story, just to say GOTCHA! at the end?

I'll be honest, it's stupid to see a great novel ruined because you thought you'd fish out a tear from my eye. One of my biggest pet peeves is a writer trying to force emotion, when it just isn't there. Write better. Don't use cheap tricks.

As for why I decided to write Urban Fantasy... that one is easier to answer.

I read to escape from my everyday life. Don't get me wrong, I've got a wonderful life, but let's face it, I don't fight dragons. I don't ride off into the sunset with a knight in shining armor. I can't blow my alarm clock up with a fireball in the morning.

When I read, I want to connect to the character. The further the timezone is, the less I can relate. So having a character from this day in age that is able to escape their everyday mundane life to find adventure and story-book love -- that holds a wonderful magic to it. At least it does to me.

There are many styles out there to write. I didn't know mine when I first started, but I'll tell you one thing: when you give it a go, you'll know. Don't get discouraged!
0 Responses
  • Followers