Surprises!
Another Good Morning to you all.

Today's lesson is a bit short:

Character Turnabouts and Surprises

Have you ever watched a movie and seen EVERYTHING that could happen before it happens? Perhaps it's as simple as a hot-tempered character having a hissy fit. It's about to happen in 3... 2... 1.... bingo -- you were right. It's a bit boring.

Now imagine if that hot-tempered character is in need of dire help. What if he gets down on his knees and gravels to beg for help? It's completely unexpected. Having this surprise gives your characters more depth, but also more respect while keeping the reader engaged by being unpredictable.

Question of the Day:

Do you ever dream about your Work In Progress?

Bwahahaha.
Why, yes, yes I do. In fact, I had a dream this weekend that changed the entire outline. Two. One where Bryce and Miss Bombay were cowboys >.>? Another where Bryce was sitting down on my bed talking to me about everything he regretted. In my story I show Mr. Bourbon mourning/upset/saddened/angry by what has happened, but I've never actually thought about him having regrets. Regrets that haunt him. Regrets that are there that he didn't really realize. So in my story, I'm going to give him the option of changing one thing he really regrets.
0 Responses
  • Followers